Sunday, 14 April 2013

My Completely Un-Inspiring Coming Out Story

So I was in the car with my mom singing ‘Standing on the Corner’ by Dean Martin (the lyrics go ‘standing on the corner, watching all the girls go by’, in case you didn’t know) and my mom told me it was weird to hear me sing that song.
So I got angry and told her ‘women can like other women too!’ And she said ‘well, it’s not like you do’, and I just very easily came out with ‘well, yes, actually, I do like women.’ (We’d had this conversation once before about marriage when I’d almost come out with it, but for some reason I just hadn’t been able to; but when she contested my right to sing Dean Martin somehow it just came out really easily. Ha!)
Then there was a silence, after which she asked me a few questions; and about five minutes later we were talking about what groceries we needed to buy. (Which just shows how completely my family doesn’t care about this kind of issue.)
I thought that’d settled it, but after singing ‘Standing on the Corner’ a few more times around the house my mom kept on getting angry with me; and I thought she might still have a problem with me liking women. But it turned out the whole thing had just been a misunderstanding on my part from the very beginning; my mom had never had any problem with me singing Dean Martin because women can’t like women or something. It was just because, whenever I sing Dean Martin, I do it in this really weird deep voice, and with my already bad singing I must’ve sounded like a complete lunatic.
So I basically outed myself over a complete misunderstanding when I didn’t really need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment